WORK WITH US...
Apprentice Healthcare Support Worker
- Fixed term: 18 months
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Hull University Teaching Hospitals
- £10,296 Plus set rate for Travel and Meal allowance
- 05/06/2023 23:59
We are looking for motivated individual who is ready for a new venture. The successful candidate will be joining one of our Clinical areas at HUTH.
Working as an apprentice, learning fundamental skills and studying at Hull College.
A passion for learning and development is essential as the role will require the individual to be both practical and compassionate.
No previous experience required.
Main duties of the job
Apprentice Health Care Support workers play a vital role in delivering high standards of care to patients in the hospital. Working on a busy ward, you will work closely with a multi-disciplinary nursing team to ensure all patients are cared for and treated with dignity and respect. Your duties will be varied and include
- Demonstrate what it means in practice to promote and provide person centred care treatment
- Support by obtaining valid consent, and carrying out risk assessments
- Work in partnership with the individual, their carer, families and the wider healthcare team
- Promote clinical effectiveness, safety and a good experience for the individual
- Assisting patients during meal times
- Maintenance of their personal hygiene
- Making patients comfortable
- Talking and listening to patient
- Involved in patient activities and support them to use ward facilitates such as the bathroom
- You will also gain experience in gaining a number of key clinical skills such as undertaking observations - temperature, blood pressure, blood glucose and urine tests
This is a very demanding and challenging role so you need to be a very compassionate and caring person who has a passion for this type of work. It is a highly rewarding career with options to progress your career.
Working for our organisation
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust strongly encourages new starters to have the Covid-19 vaccine. However, it is not a mandatory requirement to work for us.
HUTH has two main sites: Hull Royal Infirmary and Castle Hill Hospital with an annual budget of approximately £500 million. The Trust employs around 11,000 staff and serves an extended population of 1.25 million, delivering a number of outpatient services from locations across the area.
The Trust’s secondary care service portfolio is comprehensive, covering the major medical and surgical specialties, routine and specialist diagnostic services and other clinical support services. These services are provided primarily to a catchment population of approximately 600,000 in the Hull and East Riding of Yorkshire area.
HUTH provides specialist and tertiary services to a population of 1.25 million extending from Scarborough in North Yorkshire to Grimsby and Scunthorpe in North East and North Lincolnshire respectively.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
For further details with regard to this vacancy opportunity, please see the attached Job Description and Person Specification.
- A minimum of 2 GCSEs at Grades A*-C (or equivalent level 2 qualifications) Evidence of a minimum of Level 2 in Numeracy and Literacy (e.g Grade C - 4/5 or above in GCSE Maths and English)
- A minimum of Level 2 in Numeracy and Literacy (e.g Functional Skills Level 2, Grade C/4 or above in GCSE Maths and English)
- Must not hold a qualification that accredits similar skills or knowledge at the same level or above (i.e. previous healthcare apprenticeship or higher)
- IT Certificate or Qualification (ECDL, BTEC etc)
Knowledge, Training & Experience
- Experience of working as part of a team
- Ability to work on own initiative when/where appropriate
- Basic working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Work experience in an care or customer facing role
- Customer service experience; working with people face to face, on the telephone etc
- Can demonstrate a calm, caring and compassionate nature
- Demonstrates positive and professional behaviours
- Ability to problem solve
- Must maintain confidentiality at all times
- Able to make simple decisions, in line with policies and procedures, e.g., prioritisation of work
- Commit to undertake and achieve the Senior Healthcare Support Worker apprenticeship (Level 3)
- Commit to complete the Care Certificate
- Expresses a desire to progress in a nursing career (for example, as a trainee nursing associate or registered nurse)
- Good standard of hygiene and hygiene awareness
- Able to work across Trust sites to meet the requirement of the post
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Julie Dimaline
- Job title
- Clinical Apprenticeship Facilitator
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 07342 078718
- Additional information
Please contact either Natalie Hall or Julie Dimaline for further information and support with application form if required.
List all jobs in Apprenticeships or all sectors